Tuesday, July 6, 2010

All Mashed-Up

As I was reading this weeks lecture about research, I was curious about Professor Kalm's use of the word mash-up. My only exposure to that expression before this lecture was earlier this year on an episode of "Glee" they did mash-ups of different song genres. They did a mix song of "Young Girl" by Gary Puckett with the Police's "Don't Stand So Close To Me". I did a Google search which produced the musical definition I was familiar with, a web application that combines data from two sources and produces new information, and a marketing strategy. No where was the term used to describe Adrienne's attributes like the Professor did.

So I find myself trying hard not to be the old fuddy duddy, not understanding this new tecno-babble, but, I am a bit lost. Are we saying, that a person, with varying interests, captain of the equestrian team and a drug researcher is considered a mash-up of who they are as a person ? I just don't understand how her love for animals makes her a contradiction ? Is it because she doesn't take it to extremes like a PETA member that makes it a contradiction ?

If I am a sports fanatic, what is the mash-up for me ? If this is a key element in my finding my voice, maybe my confusion is part of the reason I haven't found it yet. If I am the only one confused here, I apologize for not getting it. Curious to hear other interpretations.

No comments:

Post a Comment