Monday, May 24, 2010

ICM-506 Introduction

  • My twitter feed is jms53 and I would like to say hello to each of you joining us on this writing journey.

Unfortunately, I have no published stories or articles to refer you back to so I will have to make some first impressions by writing about a recent experience.

This is probably longer than Professor Kalm intended it to be, so I will stop and just say I am looking forward to sharing and exploring writing techniques and suggestons with all of you.

I was fortunate enough to experience hearing Former President Clinton speak yesterday at the Yale commencement ceremonies. Aside from his seeming forced comments about how he met the love of his life at Yale. Hey, right !! He did make some valid points that I feel this is the appropriate forum to share.

He spoke about how when he was sworn into office on Jan. 20, 1993 there were 50 internet sites in exsistence. He punctuated the point by saying that while he was talking more than 50 new internet sites had been launched. He spoke about how people too often use the internet to just read opinions from people who share the same point of view. Liberals read liberal sites, conservatives conservative and so on.

In making these points, he felt that people were re-enforcing point of views and not allowing a new thought process to enter into the equation. This he warned leads to nay sayers who not allow things to get done. What he felt the next generation should concentrate on is to not get caught up in the minutia of logistics, but to figure out HOW to get it done.
Absorb a problem or an issue from all sides and figure out the best way to tackle it and do it.

Now I'm sure I have gone much longer than Professor Kalm intended, so I look forward to sharing and discussing writing styles, voices and techniques with each one of you over the course of this long hot summer.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff, glad to meet you. I look forward to interacting together in this class. This is definitely going to be challenging 12 weeks. I guess that I was surprised with your extensive television background that wouldn't have a writing sample of your work to post. Anyways, I enjoyed your short little story. I guess if I could offer any critique or suggestions it would be to make more of a story about your experience at the commencement speech. So why where you there? I would like to have heard a little bit more of how you felt about the issue and the state of modern media. I think I trust your opinion more then Bills. Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete