Saturday, May 29, 2010

Padding The Facts-ICM 506 Module 1

In an attempt to let you know a little more about me, I will share my experiences with my new iPad. Back in March, I had heard that Apple was announcing pre-orders for its brand new iPad.

I had been torn between getting an iPhone or a BlackBerry over the years. So many of my friends with iPhones, while loving the applications, cursed the amount of calls dropped by A.T & T. I was pretty satisfied with Verizon's phone coverage, but hated its internet browser and apps choices. I was also getting tired of receiving e-mails or jokes from colleagues that I was unable to open on my phone. So it seemed a no-brainer to me to purchase the iPad. It would allow me to keep my Verizon served BlackBerry while enabling me to utilize the applications offered on the iPad.

After some research, I decided if I was going to shell out the money for this new technology, I might as well go all the way. I ordered the 3G 64mg version and waited for its late April arrival. Now of course, you can not just order the machine without getting a few extras. I purchased the Apple Care program which is essential in case you run into any problems. But, i also purchased the separate keyboard and soft carry case offered. Let me tell you, if you are planning to purchase an iPad, these are a waste of money. The touch keyboard on the iPad screen is easy to use and very easy to read. The soft case is too flimsy and while the picture frame aspect of it functions well, it is not great for transporting around. I purchased a harder leather case on Amazon.com which is much more effective.

As for the iPad itself, I love it !! The Kindle application is tremendous and gives you many more book options than the iBook app. There are business apps that transforms the iPad into a Microsoft Office, giving you everything offered on a lap top. All of my social networking sites are available and there are separate apps that allow you to utilize Facebook chat, AIM and Yahoo Messenger. Two of my favorite apps are Pandora which takes one song and turns it into a radio station of music from that same genre.....and MLB 2010, which allows me to watch a computer version of a game that is 7 seconds behind real time and also provides you with live radio play-by-play and highlights of all scoring plays. Its great when you watch American Idol with the wife and still want to see how your team is doing.

The biggest negative is that you can only open one app at a time, so you can't listen to music while doing something else. I understand that is going to be addressed in September when Apple rolls out the 4G version of iPhone and can update all iPads.

As you can tell, I love my iPad, so as I run to the mailbox to see if my check from Steve Jobs is in the mail, I can say this will the future and will evolve into everyone having on much in the same way computers and cell phones have found their way into most homes.

4 comments:

  1. Did you know that Apple is making a smaller version of the IPhone this summer? This is planned to occur right when their exclusive agreement with AT&T expires. The new IPhone will be of course nwere, smaller, sleeker, and available with Verizon this summer.

    I like the post though. I am an avid mac user. I work on both between work and home and I swear by my Macbook. I have been hesitant about the iPad this far. Would you suggest waiting until the 4G release?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all of the typos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt,

    I think as part of Apple's 4G rollout, they will also be announcing new updates for the iPad. I have heard they are working on a way to open more than one app at a time (which is a major drawback right now). If your not in a hurry, I would wait. It will also be interesting to see how Verizon handles the new 4g Network with all of the iPhone's apps since part of the reason Apple stuck with AT&T so long is that Verizon 's 3 G network was ill equipped to handle the iPhone apps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review of the new Ipad. My father is currently testing one for compatibility with standard business applications for his company. I was definitely very skeptical about apple's new product, it seem more like just a giant Iphone to me. I have gotten to play with it myself and seems really fun and practical especially for basic browsing and apps.
    I am curious to know how the "companion device" will change peoples computing habits. Keep us updated about how you use your new toy.

    ReplyDelete