Monday, June 21, 2010

Module 4- Devils Advocate

It is very frustrating to stare at a blank page and know you have to say something about anything. You try to concentrate on what you want to say, "OK focus, I can do this", then nothing comes out. My attention starts to wander, what's my dog Duncan up to ? Whose on Letterman tonight ? Any new apps for the iPad ? After each distraction, I bring it back to that blank page, "god it's getting late, why can't I think of anything to write?" How the hell am I ever going to find my voice if I don't have anything to say ? What in the world possessed me to take an online writing class in the summer? I'll get you for this Phil Simon.

I guess I could write about something that's going on in the world. Let's see, the Republicans are pissed off at the President because he went out and played golf with Biden while oil was still spilling into the Gulf. How do I feel about that ? I guess to some it would give off the wrong appearance, here's the President blasting out of a sand trap while the American economy and environment is being drained and polluted. But, I really don't think for a minute that some Secret Service agent would not put a call through if something major came up because Obama was lining up a birdie putt. And he is sharing a golf cart with Joe Biden for three hours. No, I don't think I want to write about that.

I can feel my heart pumping a bit faster as I realize that this writers block is creating some anxiety within me. I need to relax, take a few deep breathes maybe bang out a set of sit-ups. There I feel much calmer now. What else is going on ? There's this whole Lady Gaga baseball thing. Is she trying to out-Madonna Madonna. She's been to two baseball games in two weeks at Citi Field and Yankee Stadium. Both times she stripped down to her underwear and at Citi Field she flipped the crowd the bird and in the Bronx she was drinking in the clubhouse after the game. She must have a new album coming out. Either that or she has a real need to be the center of attention. She's one step away from shaving her head and taking a baseball bat to a car. Can't picture a celebrity going that crazy. Oh, wait a minute. Besides, who even knows what she looks like considering she walks around with a veil over the face all the time? What's up with that ? No, I don't think I want to write about that crazy lady.

Politics? Entertainment ? How bout sports? Yanks beat the Mets two in a row. I can't be too unhappy with a 7-2 road trip. Should be an interesting week coming up. The Mets aren't as bad as they were the first couple of months of the season but who knows if they are as good as they've played lately. If they play well this week, I hope they decide to go out and get a starting pitcher. They could use a reliever as well. Elmer Dessens in the eighth inning makes me nervous. I probably shouldn't write about the Mets either, how many people really care besides me ?

I have to find something to write about, I can't just leave an empty page, I'll fail !! Hold on, this page is not as empty as I thought. There are actually well constructed thoughts and sentences written. I just double checked it and you know what it makes sense. I can relax, watch Kimmel, maybe Professor Kalm is right. Just keep writing your thoughts and you never know when it will turn into a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment